Honestly, I have been looking forward to doing this all week. I love days when we are just lifting, and to have the time and freedom to test a 1RM on three lifts was awesome. I wanted to hit 1,000lbs total but was not really sure if that would happen. It would mean some monster lifts for me, including the strict press which I never have maxed on.
Here is what went down:
- Deadlift: 475lbs (35lb PR)
- Back Squat: 395lbs (65lb PR)
- Strict Press: 175lbs (Never maxed on this so I’ll call it a PR)
When I hit 475lbs on my deadlift I was feeling pretty good. Jacked, actually. It was heavy but it wasn’t breaking me and I knew I had more in the tank. Everyone yelling at me was fuel for the fire. It literally felt like the gym stopped when I approached the bar. They said I made 475lbs look easy enough to take a shot at 500. 5 bills on the bar. I will tell you now that the difference between 475 and 500 felt like 100lbs. It was beyond heavy. I missed it twice, only getting it an inch off the ground. But you know what was the best part about missing that lift?
It was that I got there in the first place.
Over a year ago I had never lifted weight. Over a year ago I had never attempted CrossFit. Over a year ago I couldn’t cut my entire yard without being tired. Over a year ago I had gout in my wrist so bad I couldn’t hold my baby girl. Today I got to take a shot at picking a quarter ton off the ground. I am not at all discouraged by missing it. Not in the least because it is so far in the opposite direction of where my life was once headed that this gives me hope about where I am going.
42 Notes/ Hide
- meanrighthook likes this
- jbsteezy likes this
- headdowndoingwork likes this
- antitype likes this
- olewarskule likes this
- chrisbiketri likes this
- f1nallyf1t likes this
- southcarolinagirl said: Holy cow! Congrats!
- southcarolinagirl likes this
- thebalut likes this
- thebigsalad likes this
- shortmom likes this
- becomeunafraid reblogged this from ourtimetochange and added:
- getmoreradish likes this
- findingmybalance-v2013 likes this
- lostweightgainedlove likes this
- runningwithguts said: Moderately impressive, but talk to me when you can do all of the above while simultaneously inhaling beets.
- runningwithguts likes this
- gillsquirt said: i can’t even.
- gillsquirt likes this
- mom-athlete likes this
- x-opher likes this
- theyellowgatejourney likes this
- happyhealthyheidi likes this
- runningwithpump said: So awesome.
- runningwithpump likes this
- pudgeball likes this
- holmesimprovements said: awesome man! can’t wait to see how much you grow over the next year. It’s good to hear you mention how different 500 felt from 475- I maxed at 460 Friday and might have gotten 480 had I kept going, but now I know 500 is still slightly out of reach.
- mr-smit said: Holy crap, dude!
- mr-smit likes this
- holmesimprovements likes this
- annpersand said: amazinggg
- runlojorun said: Niccee!!!
- rachelreportslife said: woohoo!
- adventures-in-iron likes this
- tri-me likes this
- namastebandar likes this
- regainingmymoxy said: Congrats. It must feel good to have shores that weight from your shoulders to a bar.
- regainingmymoxy likes this
- rxingmyazzoff said: you are amazing
- rxingmyazzoff likes this
- ourtimetochange posted this