Stop Being Afraid
This morning was one of those workouts that just was not written toward any of my strengths. It was 1 minute of pull-ups, rest 1 minute, 2 minutes of wall balls, rest 1 minute, 3 minutes of burpees, rest 1 minute, 4 minutes of wall balls, rest 1 minute, and 5 minutes of burpee pull-ups. If it sounds like a total suckfest, you would be right. It was. Given the limited number of wall balls I subbed 75# thrusters and now have a better grasp on where the term firebreather originated from.
Being a big guy, I hate body weight WODs. It is just harder for me to move through them. I knew going into this that I would have a lower rep count than the other guys (I still would love to see them strap on a weight vest, carry the weight I do, and see if they can move the same). For too long, I have struggled with this. Way too long. I dreaded these workouts and honestly wanted to avoid them. Anything with pull-ups? Forget it.
I am so sick and tired of that.
Why should I be afraid of anything in that gym? Seriously? I can’t think of any good reason. Last night it really got the gears turning and I thought about that first minute. It is just one exercise. Just one minute. Out of 24 hours in this day. No biggie at all. The only thing I can do is go in, work hard, and get better. I don’t need to lie about my time or inflate the number of reps I get to make me feel better or gain acceptance amongst my peers. I don’t need to fear movements in the workout because they are harder for me.
I just need to work. And I did that this morning.
Side note: PR on push press this morning with 3x205 and 1x215.
31 Notes/ Hide
- thetikistyle likes this
- time4change77 likes this
- newyearfitme likes this
- findingmybalance-v2013 likes this
- lostweightgainedlove likes this
- keepgoinggreen said: Being a biger guy myself I realize I put limitations on what I think I can do also. After reading this I realize I have to stop comparing myself to others and being afraid. Thanks!
- keepgoinggreen likes this
- kevsfatfight likes this
- sunshineandhipline likes this
- thisfearlesslife likes this
- lindsaydoeslife likes this
- hard-walk likes this
- springermom likes this
- michaeldoeslife likes this
- chrystidoeslife said: Hot damn on those push presses!
- chrystidoeslife likes this
- queenbliss likes this
- gillsquirt said: DANG that sounds like a brutal work out… way to go!!!
- gillsquirt likes this
- thisdietdiary likes this
- runningwithguts said: And that attitude is precisely why you get more out of CF than most people. Always on the road to self-improvement! And congrats on the PR :D
- southcarolinagirl said: Love this.
- southcarolinagirl likes this
- sarahcrossfits said: That’s what I love about CrossFit - no matter who you are, there is something that is scary for you, something that hits your weakness. For better or worse, it’ll never be 100% easy :) Way to power through!
- runningwithguts likes this
- sabineslife likes this
- shortmom said: Way to go on the PR! I tried to click the heart on this 100x, but tumblr won’t let me.
- shortmom likes this
- blissmanifesto likes this
- westcoastrunner said: My fears are similar in that if I see a WOD that I am not good at I wud almost prefer NOT to go…I know better and your rationale is spot on!! Thanks for posting this!
- xfitlibrarian likes this
- ourtimetochange posted this